Get Rid of Puffy Eyes
Noticing bags or dark circles under your eyes? You're not alone.
Under eye puffiness is so common, whether it’s occasional or chronic; everybody experiences it at some point. The good news is "everyone can do something about it" says Sonya Dakar.
Before we treat the problem, first, we must understand that there are 2 distinct types of puffy eyes, also known as periorbital puffiness. The more common occasional under-eye puffiness is most often caused by fluid buildup around the eyes. This form of puffiness is different from age-related under eye bags, which is caused by the gradual increase of the fat deposits lying underneath the eyelids.
5 Most Common Causes of Puffy Eyes
- Normal aging - As a person ages, the skin around the eyes becomes thinner and may possibly sag. Also, a gradual increase in the amount of the under eye fat deposits (suborbicularis oculi) along with the thinning and weakening of the facial muscles contributes to the noticeable distention of the lower eye lids.
- Too much or too little sleep - Interrupted sleep cycles are common causes of eye puffiness.
- Diet - Too much sodium in your diet causes fluid retention and may lead to puffy eyes. (This can be partly alleviated by paying more attention to salt intake and becoming aware of the large amount of sodium in processed foods.)
- Alcohol and tobacco use - Alcohol and tobacco contain toxins that may lead to stress, fatigue, and hormonal changes; all of which may lead to fluid retention and swelling around the eyes.
- Allergies - Allergic reactions can cause leaks in the under eye capillaries which in turn can cause swelling in the face, including around the eyes.
What You Can Do to Get Rid of Puffy Eyes
By keeping in mind the info above and fine tuning your daily routine, you will reduce and perhaps even get rid of puffy eyes.
Use the right eye cream - Daily application of eye creams that target puffiness are essential in keeping your eyes looking fresh and young. Sonya Dakar’s Eyeposuction targets puffy eyes with 3 distinct approaches.
- Natural anti-inflammatory ingredients such as the Summer Snowflake (Leucojum vernum) plant.
- Prevents the excessive accumulation of fluid in skin tissue.
- Tightens skin tissue by increasing collagen production.
Active ingredients in Eyeposuction have been clinically shown to aid in the relief of both the occasional puffy eyes, and the age related condition of enlarged under eye fat deposits. In a 28 day study, subjects saw improvement in as little as 7 days, with 100% of the subjects noticing improvements within 28 days.
Diet - pay more attention to salt intake and avoid the large amount of sodium found in processed and canned foods, vegetable juices, popcorn, fries, etc.
Exercise - Among other benefits, sweating helps remove body salt.
Reduce or eliminate alcohol and tobacco use - No rocket science here; though you would be surprised at the negative effects on the body caused by even nominal intake.
Emergency! - If you find yourself waking up with 2 big bags, try a cold compress of any of the following; cucumber, zucchini or steeped and cooled tea bags (chamomile works best, though make sure there is no lemon or citrus ingredients in it!)
Following these 5 easy tips will help you get rid of and avoid-puffy eyes.
Look for our next article featuring dark circles.